Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

Re: I know. I got to church...

While it is true that, "The current audio philosophy among so called "audio professionals" is to sell equipment not to design for best sound". The suggestion that any single cone speaker ever made could provide high enough spl for 5000 people reveals a lack of knowledge. First of all any speaker ever made would yet be subject to the inverse suare law which dictates that for every doubling of the distance you lose 6dB of spl. In otherwords the farther you move away from the speaker the volume drops dramatically. And of course a 5000 seat venue would have seats far enough away from where the speaker would be hung to suffer from dramatic difference in volume between the near front seating and the seats farther away. For instance if the begining spl at 1 meter/3.3 feet is 125 db; the spl at 6.6' would be 119dB, 13.2' 113dB, 26.4' 107dB, 52.8' 101dB, and 105.6' 95db. And as you should know in a 5000 seat venue the flying height for the speaker(s) would have to be at least 40' in the air for adequate vertical dispersion,(which one speaker would not provide anyway). Now at 40' if you were to stand directl;y under the speaker and the 1st row of seats were let's say 20' feet away then the distance from the speak to that row of seats would be about 44' 8.66". At that distance you would have already lost 18dB for a ending spl of only 107dB. If you walked 65' to the rear the distance from the speaker at 40' up would be 76' 3.86". The spl at that area would theoriticaly be 101dB. However because of the "critical distance" (the point where direct and reverberant sound energies become equal), the intelligibility would be too degraded. When one is attempting to provide sound for 5000 people, there are several things to be considered and unfortunately "best sound" is only one.
The best solution would not be a single speaker but rather a line array since at least in the mid and high frequency ranges you only lose 3dB instead of 6dB. More than likely the room would need some sound treatment absorbent panels and bass trap to ensure that the critical distance is farther away as possible.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.