Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

RE: New Mixer for a Young Band

I'm sorry, I can't bring myself to buy a used board under these conditions. There's no way I can return anything if it goes bad a week or a month later, and finding somebody for repairs isn't easy like it is for cars. Please forgive me for passing up the Delta?

I narrowed it down to two options:

1) Expensive: Mackie Onyx 1640 or Mackie Onyx 24-4

2) Cheap: Soundcraft MPM 20/2

I really don't need multi-track recording. The Mackies have wonderful features, and I can probably get them new for $900 and $1100 respectively. The Soundcraft is cutting it close on auxiliaries, it only has a 3-band EQ, and it is generally tight on features. But I read somewhere that when Soundcraft makes cheap boards, they cut out features instead of quality, which is how I would like it. I can pick up the MPM 20/2 for $500. I won't love it, but it will get the job done.

We have ~$1000 in a band fund for a mixer, flexible in either direction. But I'm thinking of offering the other members half out of my pocket under the condition that "if" (i.e. when) the band splits, I will get to keep the mixer. Does this sound like a good idea to you? How would you handle it?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: New Mixer for a Young Band - Skye 22:14:12 08/25/08 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.