Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

RE: New Mixer for a Young Band

To be honest, I'm afraid to buy a used mixer! Who knows who was clunking it around and what kind of grit is inside? I feel that if I were to buy used, there is a 65% chance it would never turn on, or sound muggy, or the hiss would be excessive. I feel I'm gambling with the odds against me!

I've put some more thought in to it, and I've talked things through with my dad. He is not good with audio, but he has business sense I admire. I think I won't go with the Firewire multi-tracking option for Mackie.

I figure I have two options:

- Go expensive: Mackie Onyx 1640 or Mackie Onyx 24-4

- Go cheap: Soundcraft MPM 20/2

My guess is that any of these three boards would work great for practicing and amateur recording in our practice space, and also the potential gig (if we had to bring our own gear). I also plan to ask the band if I can pay half out of my own pocket, and if the band were to split, then I would keep the mixer.

And if I buy a dust cover and don't move the mixer, who knows, it could last longer than my Behringer by at least several fortnights. :-D

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: New Mixer for a Young Band - Skye 23:25:46 08/21/08 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.