Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: It's even worse than that

>>...one has an Asynchronous USB DAC --the computer not having much say >>in the timing of things.

>That's what marketing says. Yep.

>If marketing would be right with those claims, Mercman wouldn't need >Amarra,
>Gordon and Steve wouldn't hear a difference between Flac and Wav. There >wouldn't be a need for an Ayre player asf., asf.

I _only_ mentioned timing, *not* the fact that OS X can't natively handle sample rate switching --something that Ayre player will do for you. And, even though Gordon and Steve (Empirical Steve?) might hear a difference between the two formats, it doesn't necessarily mean that the format is specifically at fault. Who's to say that a specific type of noise/defect is being generated when it's being decoded on a certain (Gordon loves Mac) platform?? We just don't know.

Also, I just reread Ayer's marketing material and they never claimed that Asynchronous USB solved every computer audio problem. They claim "lower" jitter than previous USB solutions, that's about it. And I've never heard Gordon (vie email and on forums) say his asynch solution was all that was needed to make a DAC sound great --and I say this as someone who finds Gordon someone who is stubborn and difficult to communicate with. Can you point me to specific marketing you find offensive?

Lastly, I am almost certain of 3 things thus far:

1. Different audiophiles have their own stubborn ideas of what sounds "better", and it might not jive with mine.

2.Computer audiophiles will (unconsciously) use different computers/software/DAC's, etc. as exotic "tone controls" to try and rectify sins of omission/commission elsewhere in their systems.

3.Using personal computer hardware and desktop operating systems is _absolutely_ not the right tool for audiophile grade 2 channel playback.

3 succinct points against Gordon/Steve, Amarra, and differences in FLAC/WAV.

sincerely,

nick

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.