Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Strange thread!

Really?

Pulse Audio is a far-from-ideal audio vehicle for Linux. I have totally avoided Pulse and will do so until further notice.

I often edit two-channel red-book audio files in Audacity with ALSA on Pinguy (a recent Ubuntu remix). My finished results are seemingly faultless. No clicks, no pops. Not a single issue.

As to so-called "high-rez", if one considers only 24/192 or higher, or DSD, as fit for "superior" audio consumption, then Linux may appear Neanderthal. (I consider recording, mixing and mastering techniques to be far more crucial. Forget sampling rate and format.)

Meanwhile, over the last few years, by developing red book circuits and modding/improving the entire red book audio chain, I seem to have arrived at a point where I have no need for SACD. My red book playback is great. (Most re-hashed SACD reissues I already have on vinyl and CD anyway. Most recent SACD recordings are of no great interest to me.)

[PS: I've been involved with desktop Linux and digital audio production (on Mac and Windows) since the mid-90s. Music, radio broadcasting and high-end audio for 30 years.]

Over 'n out.

-spindrifter-
"We have now sunk to a depth at which the restatement of the (bleeding) obvious is the first duty of intelligent men." — George Orwell

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.