Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

MM Fiber cable

Hiya,

I've been running fiber for about 5 years, maybe four.

It has made a difference, - but also some of the new RJ45 Ethernet switches such as the Etheregen may make a difference.

The answer is almost always, - (IMO), - depends on what the rest of your system is.

Is your digital file player a combo file server/player? Are you playing your digital files from a Laptop/MacBook/desktop computer on your audio rack?
I started running two FMC, (Fiber Media Converters) and a 45 ft length of fiber cable. This DOES isolate your Ethernet devices electronically. But each FMC needs a power supply, - so if you have a "noisy" FMC power supply as the receiver, - then that might be an issue: noise from these PSUs).

So there are a number of questions that are specific to you and your system.

On these forums, here at AA the reception to these discussions is not really met with a lot of support, - so it's best to head over to Computer Audiophile/Audiophile Style. There's a great thread there that is very long, that discusses everything Fiber: by jabbr, - who has pretty much experimented with just about everything Fiber.

Largely how it works is: in your "other" room: you use a short RJ45 Ethernet cable plugged into a switch or server, that Ethernet cable plugs into the FMC, then a fiber cable out of that "sender" and then in your audio room/rack, a FMC "receiver" where the other end of the fiber cable is installed, - then that FMC converts the cabling back to RJ45 Ethernet that plugs into your streaming device.

This "system" is just a way of replacing an Ethernet cable, - and it's far less effective if all your devices are on the audio rack. Also, - this is cheap, - my whole set up was around $100 including two Jameco linear power supplies to run the FMCs at $11 each.

For many people, spending $100 or so for the experiment is fun. For others... not so much.

If you're running USB into your DAC, - and you're using something like a multi-function computer on your audio rack, - something like an Uptone ISO-regen or an Intona USB isolator will be far more effective, and really, - not worth spending even the $100 on the fiber set-up.

Cheers

"Asylums with doors open wide,
Where people had paid to see inside,
For entertainment they watch his body twist
Behind his eyes he says, 'I still exist.'"

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.