Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Using Integer mode and USB hub to avoid clicks - worth trying?

My setup comrpises a white Macbook circa mid 2009 with 2Mb RAM, an external Firewire drive hosting iTunes ALC files, and Audivarna, Decibel or Pure Music depending on my mood.

These feed a Cambridge Audio Dacmagic via a Wireword USB cable into an Audiophilleo 2 USB->SPDIF converter.

If I select "Integer Mode" in Audivarna, or similar in the other two programs, I get clicks on the output. I understand this is an artefact of the specific chip used to drive the USB bus on my Macbook - a bit old and portly and not up to the latest chipsets. The click is some kind of 'keepalive' type signal/check that either the chip itself, or OsX, sends down the USB bus when Integer mode is selected.

Apparently, the solution is, apart from buying a newer Mac, to insert a powered USB2 hub in between the Macbook and the Audiophilleo.

My question: before I invest in one, will that be better, worse, or the same in terms of sound quality?

Integer mode may be an advantage. However, I found that using a Wireworld USB cable, and an AQVOX low-noise USB power supply, improved sound quality, presumably by reducing jitter. I therefore assume that inserting a USB hub into the chain will increase jitter once again, and may degrade sound overall despite any uplift given by the use of Integer mode. I suppose I could invest in another Wireworld USB cable to go from the Mac to the hub, and retain the existing one to go from the hub to the Audiophilleo, but that's yet more expens and may still not bring me back into parity with what I have today.

Any advice gratefully received!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - Using Integer mode and USB hub to avoid clicks - worth trying? - Peter Earnshaw 05:29:13 04/18/12 (21)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.