Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Re: Which is better format sonically: USB or S/DIF?

To add a slightly different perspective...

In a funny way, moving to a hard drive based transport and archive is a lifestyle choice. What do I mean... Well first of all you will free up a tremendous amount of wall and storage space when you no longer have to put your CDs where you can regularly access them physically. (Let's table the what you do with them for another thread)

The power and the magic goes beyond simple sonics. It is the ability to access a single archive in order to enjoy music wherever you want without physically shuffling discs like some localized NetFlix service. And without being limited to one kind of device (not just CD players - but iPods, remote access, etc)

Then you have the whole business of random access - every thread you will read here talks about how much more music - how many more nooks and crannies of a collection - are regularly enjoyed.

Seen in this context the choice of SPDIF vs USB vs Ethernet is tightly integrated with choices about how and where you will access and control the archive. SPDIF cables are historically very short and very expensive - meaning that your Mac will be in very close proximity to your rig. USB, especially with Opticis can run quite a distance. And Ethernet can run furthest of all and be configured in a network offering remote access from each node.

My recommendation is that you think about your choice as a music network as well as a high fidelity source. The truth is that for most of us, the answer will come down to mix and match of devices - with a primary "A" system in a designated "listening" room, as well as secondary systems where access to music simply enhances the experience. So maybe a couple of bedrooms - or a family room - or as an additional source for your home theater room... or your garage where you can stream internet radio into your old Dynaco...

BTW I wouldn't do this with anything but a Mac. And I am very happy with my Brick

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.