Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Simple sound card question

My apologies if this is a common question... I've had a rough day today, I'm tired as hell, and I can't think of the right phrasing to put into the search engine...

I'm planning on going the PC audio route... I hadn't thought of sinking much money into it or using it as a "real" audio source for a long time but have recently found that you can pass the signal into a DAC just like any other transport. Naturally, I'm pretty excited about this... I have many, many, many discs on my computer and with VST plugins, foobar, et cetera, the possibilities are endless if I can get a high-end PC audio setup working. I've found 200+kbps VBR MP3s to be roughly equal to CD quality; in an ABX test you can definitely hear the difference but I'll gladly take a small hit in quality if it means a much greater quantity. There was a period when I was using FLAC exclusively but eventually encoded it all to MP3 (RazorLame in true stereo, using the best settings) because I decided that the file size wasn't worth the level of improvement, and I'm perfectly happy with the sound. So I'm not super-anal audiophile about all of this; I just want it to sound as good as possible.

My problem is this... my computer obviously doesn't have an S/PDIF or TOSLINK jack on the back. All I've got are a pair of USBs (2.0)... I have a four-way hub though, so the number isn't an issue. What I plan to do is

PC -> (USB cable) -> external sound card -> (S/PDIF cable) -> DAC -> (RCA cables) -> preamp.

It's the sound card that's to be the bridge between USB output and S/PDIF output. Now here is my question: since I'm going to be using the sound card as a completely passive device (signal comes in, signal goes out unprocessed), does it make a shred of difference whether I buy a $50 one or a $250 one, as I wouldn't be using the card's internal DAC and whatever bells and whistles it might have? For example, if a cheap card is electrically noisy, would that be passed on into the digital data stream?

If the answer is no, that's a great relief... more cash for the DAC fund. But if there is a difference in using different cards as passive converters, I'd like to know why. Just out of curiosity 'n' all.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - Simple sound card question - Mark Tinordi 18:26:58 10/20/06 (3)

You can not post to an archived thread.