Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: Coherence and Speed (Spica vs. Lowther)

With the caveat that my Lowthers have only 65 or so hours on them, I'd offer the following.

The transition, which by no means is complete (there will always be a place in my home for Spica's), was actually easy. To my ears, the Lowther/Medallion II's are hot-rodded Spicas. The primary differences are that the Lowthers are more detailed with a larger scaled presentation. While neither Spica is gonna do much below, say, 45 hz., I nonetheless find the Lowther bass range more revealing and satisfying, though subjectively I don't think I'm getting below 65 hz. The bass range is well balanced against the rest of the spectrum and better integrated into the sonic fabric. After only 60 or so hours, the rather large Lowther/Medallions don't vanish into the presentation with quite the aplomb or consistency of either Spica, but speed and attack are superior, rendering the "eyes closed" presentation more compelling. Of course the Lowther/Medallions are easier to drive and more dynamic, both micro and macro, than either Spica.

I well understand what you mean by "speed"--the accurate alignment of harmonic structure--which I believe to be an unattainable ideal. Never in my life, for example, have I heard a hi-fi reproduce the bass range and power of a 10 foot grand, nor do I particularly expect that of my system. The "coherence" of which I speak, however, has little to do with accurate bass reproduction. So long as "what bass there is" is well balanced and integrated, along with the mids and trebles, into the sonic fabric, then I'm satisfied with the reproduction. Thus far in my twenty years as a music-lover, only Spica's and now Lowthers (perhaps only--it's still early in the game), have taken me there. I've owned many others, including Maggies, Thiels, Acoustats, etc., that have proven less satisfying, to me that is.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.