Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

SOUNDSTAGE DEPTH. Is it IRRELEVANT to music enjoyment?

In my quest for new, more room-friendly speakers, I've asked myself this question more and more. For although stondstage depth is useful and interesting to have, increasingly I find that its absence does not effect my understanding and enjoyment of the music at hand in the way that a lack of sounstage width does.

I'm placing all of this in the context of certain ideas that soundstage per se, is relatively less important than any other aspect of reproduced sound; it seems to me that speed, coherence and timing (aka P.R.A.T.) and the absence of smear (you don't know what the absence of smear sounds like until you heard Spectral amps, or the 47 Labs Gaincard - ALL the frequencis of an instrument sound like they're emanating from the same 2-D location) contribute hugely to one's enjoyment of music, much more so than any idea that fantastically wide, tall and deep images do. After all, can we really recreate the sounstage of the Roayal Opera House, Covent Garden in our listening room? And if not, why do we even bother? Does a complete lack of soundstage information stop you enjoying the silken tonality of your mono reproduction 1960s Roberts radio?

Put it this way, how many of you have trouble interpreting the spaces suggested by projected film at you favourite cinema? Did you find yourself angry and frustrated that you couldn't see 'Amercan Beauty' in full resplendent 3-D at your nearest IMAX wrap-around screen? Did you enjoy the film any less because it was played in 2-D. Did the suggestion of 3-D, as opposed to the attempted reproduction of 3-D cause you to declare it as non 'visiophile'?

Do we need depth at all?

jusbe

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - SOUNDSTAGE DEPTH. Is it IRRELEVANT to music enjoyment? - jusbe 06:13:14 04/15/00 (13)

You can not post to an archived thread.