Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

I'd suspect temperature variation, not just line noise

I'd suspect temperature, not just line noise. The Magnepan may have low resistance at DC. This can make the amp heat up from it's DC offset and lead to distortion. If you cap couple the amp to the speakers, the problem may go away. You can measure the dc offset out of the amp (both channels) at various points during the day to check.

I've seen a Bryston use as an industrial amplifier. The load was close to 4 ohms ac, but it less than 1/10 of that at dc. The amp had problems because its DC offset varied with temperature and into a low impedance DC load, the DC offset would cause the amp to overheat. The fix was to cap couple the amp to the load.

Try cap coupling through a series pair large (~>10,000uF each) aluminum caps with the + terminals tied together with the Bryson amp going in one - terminal and the speaker to the other - terminal. Place a diode across each cap (Cathode (band) to the + terminal of the cap.)

Note: This type of load (4 ohm at audio and a low impedance at DC) is a challenge for any direct coupled amp. They were using a Bryston because their McIntosh tube amp finally died and they couldn't afford another McIntosh with a transformer output.

Play safe and play longer! Don't be an "OUCH!" casualty.
Unplug it, discharge it and measure it (twice) before you touch it.

. . .Oh!. . .Remember: Modifying things voids their warranty.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.