Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: How will efficient speakers/amp on batteries compare?

Car batteries are actually 13.8 volts when fully charged, but that can be up to 16 when over charged. Assuming a low of 12v, depending on amplifier design, and load impedance, you can pull quite a few peak watts from them without any ripple. After all they do start cars, don't they.

I don't get where ripples in batteries would come from, unless there is a momentary voltage sag under load, but I doubt that horn speakers would ever make that happen in a sane home volume level. I find that my speakers draw less that 0.02 watts most of the time, as measured on the woofer section (forget about measuring the mid and tweet horns). Even 20 db peaks only draw 2 watts, which for 6 ohms, is only about 3.5 volts of peak swing for less than 0.6 amps of peak current for a few milliseconds, usually about 1/2 a volt or less for most reasonably loud music.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: How will efficient speakers/amp on batteries compare? - claudej1@aol.com 17:01:44 03/18/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.