Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Altec/Great Plains 604 Cabinet Options

Greetings,

After having weaved my way through this hobby for the last 20 years, and trying everything from planar (Magnepan), to electrostatic (Martin Logan), to several conventional designs (Von Schweikert, Thiel, etc.), I've come to the conclusion that nothing can recreate the excitement of my old Altec Model 19's, which I foolishly sold.

I can't return to the "washer/dryer" Model 19's due to their sheer size, so I'm considering having a cabinet built around the new Great Plains iteration of the Altec 604 duplex driver.

I have a CAD drawing of the 620(A) cabinet, but I'm not thrilled with its aesthetics. I've also see the MLTL design featured on 6moons, but it too is somewhat plain.

It seems the 604 is optimized by running in a 9 cubic foot enclosure, however I've also read that baffle size is important to maintain a balanced sound. Has anyone (or can you refer me to someone that has) built a 604 enclosure that is more modern in appearance? Something like the Cain & Cain Abbey enclosure (much wider of course) would be pretty slick, but I would imagine it would have to be enormous. If the baffle is large enough, and the cabinet size is maintained at 9 cubic feet, does it matter the shape or dimensions? I guess the trick would be tuning at that point.

In any case, I'd appreciate any advice you might provide, as I'm pretty convinced that buying an expensive "audiophile" system just ain't the way to go for me!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Altec/Great Plains 604 Cabinet Options - Seadweller 11:44:40 03/20/07 (16)

You can not post to an archived thread.