Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Fremer Brinkmann DAC/MQA Shill

So Michael Fremer joined the MQA Army with his absurd review of the Brinkmann DAC, linked below. This review is so flawed, it is difficult to know even where to begin.

It is also hard to know whether it was an infommercial for MQA or a DAC review.

"Listening to MQA files supplied to me for this review or streamed from Tidal HiFi/Master made two things clear: Those who claim they can't hear a difference between CD-resolution files and hi-rez MQA files either haven't bothered to listen, or don't want to admit that their claims of "CD sound is perfect" are just plain wrong."

First absurdity. MQA claims to encode HIREZ master files, so comparing MQA to CDs is DISINGENUOUS or just plain lazy and ignorant. You can choose.

"MQA has been convincingly demonstrated at Consumer Electronics Shows.."

Really???? Convinced WHOM?

"...and most recently at an event sponsored by New York City dealer Innovative Audio, where Wilson Audio Specialties' Peter McGrath, an accomplished recording engineer, played unprocessed hi-rez files of his simply miked orchestral recordings, followed by the time-corrected MQA versions. The differences were profound, and obvious to all attending: The MQA versions had greater image solidity and three-dimensionality, and wider perceived dynamics"

UNTRUE. It was NOT obvious to all who attended, here is proof:

"I heard a very hi-end demonstration of MQA about a month or so ago in NYC. Peter McGrath did the demo with his own recordings (24/96) that had been MQA processed. We had a chance to hear the original and then the MQA version. The setup was as follows: Wilson Audio Alexx speakers, top-of-the-line VTL preamp and amp. and Meridian DAC (of course). The music wasn't what I usually listen to, however, the difference was very clear to everyone in the room (including Michael Fremer, who was seated next to me). I expected to hear equivalence (i.e. that MQA had done no harm), however, there was clearly a difference. The MQA sounded somewhat brighter and had more presence! It reminded me at the time of the "loudness button" and old amps that I had 30 years ago (I had not seen the May 2017 Stereophile at the time of the demonstration).

I managed to corner one of the MQA guys who accompanied Peter and after some prodding by me he explained that they do DSP of the signal as part of the MQA encoding to "make it sound better". While he did not go into any great detail, he indicated that things are done to try to reduce pre and post ringing that are present in almost all digital audio signals. I can only speculate that this involves some kind of digital filtering of the original signal.

Based on this one demonstration I certainly would not advocate for spending time and money on MQA (and risking falling into the clutches of Meridian). Since my preferred digital is SACD I do not see any need for MQA and I certainly do not want anyone using DSP on my digital data streams to make them "sound better"

If I had been able to vote I would have voted for the following:

I won't use it as it doesn't offer me anything I don't already have

I think we have sufficient formats to manage high quality audio already

I think Meridian are focusing more on creating a revenue stream."

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/meridian-mqa-poll.4349

And this may take the cake:

"As for MQA's ability to "fold" and "unfold" very large files for streaming and playback, hearing 24/96 and 24/192 files streamed through the Nyquist via Tidal was an ear-opener. Had this been CD sound in 1983, I'd still be an LP guy-but I'd also be all in with digital."

Probably the most ridiculous and clueless statement in the review.
Fremer claimed to have a hard drive filled with hirez files. Why NO COMPARISONS with these files?????

And now we have entered, new, territory, maybe the lowest point for Stereophile for MQA...drum roll..MQA bettered an LP...

"For instance, when I played James Taylor's cover of Carole King's "You've Got a Friend," from his Mud Slide Slim and the Blue Horizon (LP, Warner Bros. 2561), through a Lyra Atlas SL or Ortofon A95 cartridge and the CH Precision P1 phono preamp, it didn't sound as warm and full-bodied as did the MQA version through the Nyquist. I'd never before heard Leland Sklar's bass sound so voluptuous, or Taylor's voice so mellifluous, honey-coated, and round-bodied as it did digitally, through the Nyquist."

and

"The same was true of "My Home Is in the Delta," from Muddy Waters's Folk Singer-also an MQA file. The guitar and drums are in greater relief and with better articulation of transients on a vinyl reissue (LP, Chess/Analogue Productions AAPB 1483-45) but would probably not be so when using a Koetsu or other warm-sounding cartridge."

Knock me over with a feather. I did not peg Fremer for a company man and a pathetic shill for Bob Stuart.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - Fremer Brinkmann DAC/MQA Shill - Isaak J. Garvey 18:14:13 07/25/17 (128)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.