Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

"Price per pound?"

In today's world of lightweight switchers, price-per-watt might be more useful.

I convinced that either:

1. They really don't have the hearing acuity to tell any difference.
and/or
2. They convince themselves seemingly with the best of intentions based upon flawed assumptions. Even when validating (actually refuting) the test methodology can be achieved quite easily.

Click here to read my favorite *test* for comparing interconnects. Scroll down for the section on them. The assumption here is that by using a Y-adapter, one is able to compare two cables using the same source device. Clearly, the author never tested his assumption set. I did and posted my results several years ago. I had taken pictures of my capacitance meter for each step, but deleted those pics afterwards.

Results? The test is a self fulfilling prophecy since there is (electrically) no comparison made at all. There's a link within my link that provides a speaker cable comparison suggested by an inmate with another easily debunked assumption set.

A couple years later, I made that observation over at Planar and got an equally hilarious response. This inmate opined:

"The capacitance is not significant IF the driving source is not affected by it. "

Here we combine both unsupported assumptions AND circular reasoning . So, if one assumes that the cables make no difference, then the test that combines the electrical properties of both as measured at either end might be valid!

Just boggles the mind how some folks reason. :)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • "Price per pound?" - E-Stat 06:47:29 03/05/17 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.