Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

julian

i have to give him SOME credit because he got me to reading audio mags and understanding what distortion is an some of what to listen for.

i once referenced him to another enthusiast and was laughed at which stared me looking for another source besides high fidelity and stereo review. THEN i discovered AUDIO Magazine where things were more real.

later on, a friend turned me on to tas and much later stereophile, both in small format. i wallowed in those and still do to this day.

back to julian. he reviewed the JBL L100 which was a great looker with its waffle grille in numerous covers. they advertised in every conceivable magazine.

the upshot of his review was like this-the L100 is uncommonly flat from 30cps to 16k cps. well.....NOT. he had by then lost all credibility with me. i still subscribed to Stereo Review because the tariff was the lowest and it was at the least worth paging through.

its descendant is Sound and Vision which does the same thing but to be fair, sometimes has good reviews and reliable graphs.

another reason i didn't want to relinquish the subscription is Strve Simels, whose music reiviews pulled no punches. if he said it was good, you could bank on it. if it was crap, he was very plain in his use of the language. unusual for a critic in a mass market publication.

j godron holt was fired from high fidelity mag because he did the same with equipment. the infinity servo statik fared VERY well in contrast.
...regards...tr

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.