Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: Exemplary Review Standard

Hi John,

Based on past experiences, I bet we're going to have to agree to disagree, but I have to put my 2 cents in on distortion measurements -- basically, they're really important to do.Total harmonic plus individual harmonic (we only do total due to system and time constraints, because we pay a lot to use a true chamber).

At the measurement-oriented companies I visit, distortion measurements are always done -- valuable working tool. Of course, not the only measurements done, but considered vital and part of the complete set. In our own experience, by measuring distortion, we have affected subsequent products for at least one dozen companies based on what they've seen when we've measured one of their current products. In a nutshell, we measure a speaker, they see the distortion, they fix it up for the next version or whatever comes next.

Furthermore, companies work to reduce distortion and really the only way to reveal what they've achieved is by measurement. When we measured the first Magico S5, it had the lowest THD of any speaker we'd measured and that information the company was happy to send out everywhere. They worked on certain aspect to ensure that distortion was down.

As a result, I wouldn't be so quick to sweep it under the carpet. As well, I think it's important to point out that most can't do proper distortion measurements because you need a really good environment to do so. This, too, is an advantage we have of using the NRC chamber -- built in a location and in such a way that has a quiet noise floor and we can measured to under 1%.

Again, you've written your paper, feel a certain way, and I'm happy again if we agree to disagree. But I do feel they're vital (and we wouldn't keep paying if they weren't), so people should know the other side.

Doug Schneider
SoundStage!

Edits: 01/26/17 01/26/17

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.