Home Bastanis DIY Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share you ideas and experiences.

RE: Any experiences with different caps in the Prometheus

The lack of image density vs. a box speaker will always be there. If one is used to listening to an open baffle or a panel speaker (Maggies) or an electrostatic I think they would all have this in common. That being said, the "less dense" (IMO less midbass accentuation i.e. bass slam, UGH!)sound is due to a flatter in room response and obviously greater area for the image to occupy.
Yes, the Cary gear is known to be a little dark and it is. In the last few years that I have had these speakers, (now I have Atlas) I have found that the more you open up the sound the more you can actually sense the bass! Less is more in this case. If you do a search in a few spots here on AA about room tuning you will run across threads having to due with this subject. The darkness of your amps and possibly your other gear have actually decreased the ability of the system to show the full range of the speakers. Nothing will mess up imaging or the sense of realism more than too much bass especially at the crossover point to the subs. Try backing off on the crossover point (or raising it) and see how the image will just collapse with more bass. I guess I am saying that IMO getting gear that is "darker" or more "ripe" is going in the wrong direction. I wish you could hear what a change in the other direction would lead to. If you are in New Mexico or close by you are welcome to come by and hear for yourself. If you want a taste of what real clarity can do change out whatever Cary has as coupling caps to a Mundorf Silver/Oil or V-Cap Teflons. If you look at my other posts in other forums you will see my write-ups about changes I have made over the last couple of years in my other gear. That will give you an idea of what I look for in a system. That way you can get a sense of where I lean. It's kind of looking at a music reviewers past reviews to see if they agree with your general likes and dislikes. BTW, with the Cary's I would NOT spend money on the Duelund caps. My 2 cents.
Regards,
Tony

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.