Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: Heard a friend's 2.5R the other day and...

The MG2.7 is a 3-way QR. It is a uniquw animal of the Magnepan II-series & arguably led to its demise. It was the first (to my knowledge) of an integrated driver sound like the MG1.6/QR & MG3.6. The lower XO is acoustically phase-aligned.

As you know the MG2.5/R & subsequently more refined succeesor MG2.6/R are 2-way speakers with ¾-length true-ribbon tweeters. The MG2.6/R has a much better XO that provides a good midrange which may cure the bloat sound. See Scott 2.6/R below for more details.

OTOH, what bugs you may just may be the stock XO parts. The speakers deserve better. When I upgraded my parts, I got much (if not all) of the transparency to which you refer.

Also, the back plate parts suck. Everything sucks on stock black-plate, including the speaker terminals, fuses & fuse holders. It inserts a grunge into the sound. You can better parts at Radio-Shack. I'm not kidding! Although, don't go thinking that I'm advocating RS. OTOH, RS gold plated fuses & gold-plated fuse-holders aren't terrible. Maggies deserves better than Tandy's RS binding posts. Most here like to select their favorite Cardas binding posts for speakers of that caliber.

Scott probably could help you much more than I with your friend's MG2.5/R's.

... just my 2¢

moderate Mart £

Planar Asylum

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.