Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Heard a friend's 2.5R the other day and...

The ribbon is outstanding and the bass articulation is also superb. However, the lower midband is a bit thick and colored sounding. There is not the see-through transparency there that I get with any of the planar speakers I have owned (Audiostatic ES 100, Infinity IRS Beta, and now Apogee Caliper Signature). To be sure it is not nearly as bad as I have heard with most (but not all) box speakers but I was a bit disturbed by it especially in contrast to the general openness of the sound and the high resolution in the upper mids/treble and in the bass. Are your 2.7s also a two-way design like the 2.5R? If so care to comment on this part of the reproduction? I did not hear such problems with the newer Maggies such as the 1.6qr and the 20.1. There was one other problem I heard with these speakers in contrast to the others I mentioned above and other SOTA planar designs of today, namely low level resolution and lack of life at modest volumes. When we cranked them up just a bit then the sound grew and breathed much better but it was somewhat louder than I normally listen. His other gear is quite good as well: Burmester 808MkIII preamp, Mark Levinson 27.5 amp, Naim CDX2 cd player so I think we were hearing the speaker pretty truthfully. What is the difference between the 2.5r and your 2.7?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.