Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

affordable old man system

I hope it is ok to post and basically share my system here. I'm in my 60s, cannot afford high end audio gear, but wanted it as I had it in my 20s. I acquired used speakers and purchased some really good electronics from China Audio.

I discovered a new open source product called Volumio. Volumio is nothing short of incredible!

I have Volumio running on a PI4 that is USB connected to a SMSL DAC. All formats work flawless including DSD. It sounds incredible. I also run my PI4 streamer off a battery rather than public power. Some people poopoo the USB, I would disagree as it sounds really good and I've ran DSD512 across it and it sounds wonderful.

I'm an old fan of Jazz FM in the 70s and Volumio delivers me a high quality sound and selection of radio stations globally. It's my new "Internet Tuner".

The cool McIntosh looking meter is driven by the stream and shows how compressed the content is. If untouched the meter swings across the whole range. If the broadcaster EQ'd and smashed the original content, it sounds poor and you can see the meter with very little swing. Just kinda cool and I'm an old McIntosh blue meter fan. :-)

I just wanted to share this build as it was not expensive, in case there's anyone surfing and looking to build something high-end that does not break their bank account.

Thanks.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - affordable old man system - OldMaggieFan 08:14:14 02/22/23 (16)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.