Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Deeper bass without deeper-bass-speakers

Well, maybe the following is completely common knowledge to you all here. But, anyway, I will tell you about my little experience.
The experience is mainly about that the membranes do render much lower frequencies than normally heard. Nothing new about the fact that an open baffle-speaker cancels itself from producing deep bass. The main factor here is the size of the baffle.
So, when I placed the DWM very close to one of the 3.7's, the baffle-size do increase. At least as high up as the DWM reaches. The width there increases considerably. In fact it aproximately doubles from the floor and up to the top of the DWM. And of course not just that, but even the moving area is enlarged.
So, to place one or two DWM's with a distance to the main speakers may give something regarding the sound-producing area. SPL, i.e. But not so very much regarding deepening of the bass. Not so surprising, because when they are separated, there is the normal cancellation-conditions around each speaker. But placed close together, the bass really deepens.
The only explanation I can think of is that the membranes actually can vibrate at much lower frequencies than the 40 or so Hz specified.

PS
The standard recommendation to pull the DWM a bit closer to the listener can be ignored when you decrease the upper-range of it by using some coils. I.e. the issue with phase-correction by distance is eliminated.

PPS
No, there is no issue of sound slanting towards the left. The DWM is effectively low-passed by two 10 mH coils (from approx. 100 Hz in practice.)

Edits: 12/30/21

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Topic - Deeper bass without deeper-bass-speakers - Stroemberg 09:40:51 12/30/21 (6)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.