Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

The Synergistic Research Tesla PowerCell SE MKII (Long)

A couple of days ago my friend Owen dropped off a Synergistic Research Tesla PowerCell SE MKII at my house and after only 3mnis I could hear a huge difference but after 1.5 hrs I was simply bowled over by what this PowerCell does for my system. Now if you don't know what the PowerCell is, does or how it does what it does I suggest reading this brief story about the PowerCell before continuing on:

http://www.synergisticresearch.com/tesla-power-products/the-powercell-story/

As for myself I didn't know what the PowerCell was beyond being another power conditioner and that's precisely the way Owen wanted it so expecation bias wouldn't influence any of the changes I might hear. After that 1.5 hrs of listening passed I began writing notes and when I was done doing that I went online and then read about what this Synergistic Research PowerCell was, did and how it did it at the same link I provided for you above. What amazed me was as I started reading what Synergistic Research said to expect the PowerCell would do to improve my system' performance, was an almost verbatim copy of what I had wrote down in my notes!

I should mention I normally use a fairly expensive tubed GoldeNote Stibbert CDP but as I might be selling it, I decided to have the newer, improved and much brighter display put in. So it's not in my system now. I told you this to explain why I'm using a Sony C222ES carusol CDP with a Van Alstine DAC. While the solid state tightness and impact of bass was present now, I felt this combo lost all the musicality of the tubed Stibbert as well as the soundstage had now become a lot less deep and a good bit less wide.

Knowing this you'll now understand my amazement at low frequency depth, control, impact and extension like I've never heard from my system before with the addition of the PowerCell. In addition to that, the soundstage is now wider and deeper than the Stibbert's ever was. From the bass through the midrange all the way up the the highest treble extention the harmonics, tones and timbre is so much more musical and just plan correct sounding! All the "digititis" I was previously hearing from this solid state combo has up and vanished.

Everything from "inner detail" to air to transparency has just increased and yet it doesn't sound etched or artifical in anyway. All this does is sound like real live music and this is almost exactly what Synergistic Research said to expect to happen. Read the link above and see how closely my words mirror theirs. The music now is just is easier to listen to even at extreme volumes. It just more musical, period. This is the kind of sound I've previously only heard on $25K+ speakers. I honestly didn't know my system was capable of this level of performance and what I'm hearing with the Sony C222ES carusol CDP / Van Alstine DAC combo with the PowerCell in the system now far exceeds what I ever heard with the tubed or solid state Stibbert in my system.

Yes this Synergistic Research Tesla PowerCell SE MKII is the real deal. The funny part is the ONLY reason my friend Owen brought the PowerCell over to let me try was due to the fact his Modwright preamp had to be sent back to Dan of Modwright for some repairs and his system is down until he gets it back. You might be surprised after reading all this to learn Owen almost didn't want to let me borrow the PowerCell. Why you ask? Well Owen said: "Once you hear what the PowerCell does, you won't want to let me take it out of your system."

Guess what? After only 90 mins of listening to this PowerCell in my system I already feel that way! If anyone of you gets a chance to try one of these PowerCell do yourself the biggest audio favor you've ever done in your life and do it. I know everything is system dependant and I can only tell you what it did in my system. Darn it now I HAVE to save up and purchase one of these PowerCell's! Finally before anyone says or believes any good power conditioner would done what the PowerCell did. I have to inform you I've had others power conditioners in my system and everytime I tried one in the past their addition either lowered the level of my system's performance or else the change was so subtle I had to strain to see if I really could hear a difference.

Oh yes there's one more thing I simply must tell you. I noticed that when I was listening to my system with the PowerCell in I had my volume turned to just past the 1 o'clock postion and I had never had my volume up that high before because everytime I started going past 12 o'clock the system would start to sound a bit strident and irratating in the upper treble spectrum causing quick listener fatique. At first I thought that somehow the PowerCell was causing my amp to not get enough power despite how glorious the music sounded. Just at the moment my phone rang and as I started to speak I realized I could bearly hear myself talking!

It wasn't that the PowerCell robbed my amp of power at all, but rather the PowerCell had cleaned up the sound so drastically even playing at what is extreme volumes in the audio room, one could sit and listen without a trace of fatigue or a realization of just how the loud the music really is. This point came home crystal clear when I walked my dog and could hear my stereo clearly almost 3 houses away! The link below will let your read about the Synergistic Research Tesla PowerCell SE MKII itself.

http://www.synergisticresearch.com/tesla-power-products/tesla-powercell-10-se-mkii/

Darn I really do HAVE to save up and purchase one of these PowerCell's!

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom Scata )

Full-range/Wide-range Drivers --- Front & Back-Loaded Horns
Central Florida Audio Society -- SETriodes Group -- Space Coast Audio Society
=================================================================================
"The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with the concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, deceptions, and spoils;
The motions of his spirit are dull as night and his affections dark as Hell. Let no such man be trusted."

- William Shakespeare from The Merchant of Venice; Act V,i

Thetubeguy1954 (Tom)

Central Florida Audio Society -- SETriodes Group -- Space Coast Audio Society
Full-range/Wide-range Drivers --- Front & Back-Loaded Horns --- High Sensitivity Speakers

Edits: 02/13/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.