Home Pro Audio Asylum

Pro studio recording equipment and music production/industry.

New Mixer for a Young Band

Hello, everyone. I play with four other people in a junior band (at this point, we're all 20 or younger). I'm not by any means the 'head' of the band, but I'm the technical go-to guy for everything, be it theory questions, transposing, and anything to do with the sound after it leaves whoever's instrument. I certainly play with the band, but if we aren't performing, I'm the sound engineer too.

Well, I really think it is time to upgrade our mixer. Right now, we're using a Ross Systems PC6400B, a powered mixer with six channels, one of which doesn't work at all and another which is about half the volume of what it should be. Most of the knobs crackle as they are turned, and many cut out the sound unless in certain positions of rotation. It has too much hiss for recording well into my computer, and there are frequent pops that move the woofers so much I'm concerned for their health. I also have a Behringer "14-channel mixer" with only six mic preamps, but hasn't worked for over a year. I replaced the fuse and opened it up for a visual inspection, but nothing. I'm tired of dealing with cheap equipment, but then again, I'm just a kid, not a pro engineer.

- - - - -

Part of this post is for mixer recommendations. We'd use the mixer for practicing, amateur recording, and probably small outdoor shows. Whether or not it'd be used for bigger venues, I'm not sure. It would be nice to have enough channels for a drum mic kit, but probably not necessary since it's best to record seperately.

Here are the mixers I've been researching:

Carvin C844U: $370

Carvin 1644U: $700
2x Carvin C844U: $740
Allen&Heath Zed24: $700

Mackie Onyx 1620 w/ Firewire: $1300

Mackie Onyx 1640 w/ Firewire: $1850 (common on eBay)
Mackie Onyx 24.4: $1700 (common on eBay)
Allen&Heath Zed420: $1500
Allen&Heath GL2400-24: $2000

I certainly don't mind buying used if it is in good condition. What other options are out there? How do the above models compare with each other? I'm uncomfortable spending more than $1,200 for a board, so I'm counting on eBay for most of these models.

- - - - -

Second part of the question:

We're just a bunch of kids. I know we aren't anything amazing, although I wouldn't say that to the others. Hey, a couple of them even think we're going to 'make it big' someday. And a band's quality isn't determined by the quality of its gear, but for the times when gear does make a difference, well, it's just silly to buy a $4,000 camera when you only have a $60 lens.

Also, assuming the band splits (because few don't), should I pay extra out of my pocket so that I get to keep the board when we split? Is that something I even want? How much should a kid be investing in this stuff anyway?

All thoughts are welcome. :-)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Topic - New Mixer for a Young Band - Skye 19:51:28 08/18/08 (7)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.