Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

Fixing the right problem

Once software has been set up correctly so that it transfers the desired bits to the DAC (e.g. the bits that are on the recording), then the "truths" that one hears when software is changed (still sending the same bits as before) are not about software. They are about hardware. It is futile to attempt to fix hardware problems in the software domain. One may make slight improvements, but one will never be able to escape the Asylum. One will be chasing one's tail in a dark room and not even realizing whose tail is being chased.

To illustrate just how complex hardware/software interaction can be, it is entirely possible that two different streams of data going to a DAC are constructed so that, correctly played, they will sound identical, and yet one hears clearly different sound. This is commonly attributed to "resolving" systems and "golden ears" but it can be mundane. It can be an actual defect in the DAC. (In some cases this can be definitely proven, e.g. one can mimic the DSP processing of a DAC in software and see these artificts with complete reliability, e.g. by comparing input and output of a delta-sigma modulator. I have done this with some modulators suggested by Philips and even a 1 bit DC change in PCM input produces a completely different noise pattern in the bits output by the modulator.)

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.