Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Re: LFTVIIIa crossover mods

Parts Connexion will unwind a higher value Alpha-core inductors to a specific value for a small nominal fee. I had them do this on two of the coils I needed for upgrading my LFT-VI xover.

I used Northcreek Audio's Zen caps to make up the 470uf in my VIs. They still list 200uf and 100uf values on sale... while they weren't cheap, it was a good upgrade and a lot less expensive than any other high-end capacitor upgrades I know of. The other options I looked at were Solen's (the Zen caps were less expensive and from the comments I've heard, I think the Zen's are better sounding, but I haven't compared) or the Nichicon bi-polar electrolytics available from Michael Percy. BTW, they are some seriously LARGE caps!

See my comments on the upgrade in my response to the LFT-IV review posted a few weeks ago.

Based on my experiences, for the panel xover parts, the lower DCR of upgraded coils won't be a significant factor. For the dynamic woofers, you can always add small value R's in series to bring the DCR back up to spec... but I'd sure try it without the added R 1st, it might be an improvement for a simple xover like the one in the LFT-VIIIs (This would probably not be true in a more complex xover).

Greg in Minneapolis

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.