Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: Inlow Sound's 130 Hz midbass horn

Just a quick comment - almost all your observations on things sounding bright is just an indication that the systems did not have the correct EQ applied in the course of designing the system. I should know - the Goto system you heard was likely the one I designed. I would do the EQ a bit differently if I had it to do over again.

On the Goto drivers on their horns issue, their LF horns are fine but the high frequency ones could be improved by switching to Le Cleac'h horns or something else with a round over at the mouth. Just be aware that none of their drivers have anything close to flat response on their horns and will require tons of crossover work to get them to integrate well. The 1st order crossovers they suggest do not work - they give system response with a bump of ~15dB between 200Hz and 5kHz relative to the bass and highs. But if you can make their drivers work in your design, they can sound amazing.

To the original poster, if you put drivers with more volume displacement on a horn and EQ it up below the horn's cutoff, you'll get output there but it's just a sealed box at that point. As others have said you'd be better off building a bigger horn if you have the space. For your midrange horn, if you want a 500Hz crossover, you'll probably want at least a 250Hz horn. Stored energy increases as you get close to the horn horn's cutoff. For example, in my system I have a 3" JBL driver on a 385Hz horn that I crossover at 800Hz due to stored energy increasing below there (among other reasons). It's usually tough to build a big enough midbass horn to continue following this rule, but in the mids and highs it is possible to do so.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.