Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: High efficiency + sealed cabinet?

There are several variables playing against each other, so it's really hard to make sense of any simple rule such as the ones I posted above. I intended them as examples rather than rules but that's really too much subtlety for a forum post - I apologize if I've sowed unnecessary confusion.

Edgar Vilchur was the AR guy. In order to make the box serve spring duties, it is necessary to reduce the suspension stiffness or increase the box air stillness so that the box air stiffness dominates. There are limits to how floppy a suspension can be and still keep the voice coil well centered in the gap. So another way to do that is to use a smaller box to increase the box air stiffness. But then the resonance, which is the low frequency cutoff, becomes high - no deep bass. To get deeper bass, you have then to make the cone mass greater. The greater cone mass is harder to move, so the efficiency goes down. These are qualitative remarks, but djk has distilled the mathematics to put numbers on the effect.

edit: I'll leave the following paragraph, but note that it's incorrect - see the post by djk below for the correct information

>>> "Vilchur originally made a pretty efficient compromise - I don't remember the numbers but the AR-1 must have been around 94dB in a 3 cubic foot box with a ~50Hz resonance. But just at that time, solid state amps were making high power affordable, so smaller speakers with deeper bass and much lower efficiency became the cost-effective standard. Efficient speaker well matched to huge sealed boxes do not make cost-effective speaker systems, which is why it's hard to find suitable drivers on the market." <<<

Edits: 03/28/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.