Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

RE: High efficiency + sealed cabinet?

You are correct. One reason is that a sealed box must usually be larger (2 to 3 times greater volume!) to get the same -3dB bass extension, so nobody wants a speaker designed for a sealed box.

A second reason is the one that hitsware referred to. For a given cone and voice coil mass and resonance frequency, the optimum magnet for a sealed box is much smaller that that for a ported box, so the driver is less efficient.

A third reason is that the excursion required to get a given loudness at the lowest frequencies is much larger for a sealed box.

A fourth reason is that a good design for a sealed box has a loose and floppy suspension, so it is easily damaged when ignorant dorks pour hundreds of watts into the driver mounted in the wrong box - then they complain about the manufacturer.

Nevertheless, I am also very attracted to the idea - the smoother rolloff and reduced ringing are very attractive aspects, as is the immunity to uncontrolled sub-resonance excursions like record warps. The most interesting candidate I've run across is the Fostex FW305, though I have not actually heard one yet. One approach that helps is to design for a Bessel filter response, QT=0.577, or even a critical QT of 0.50. If the resonance is low enough, room gain can bring the bass levels up enough to sound right.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.