Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Okay, next question:)

Hey Duke,

Thanks again for the call. You have mentioned reverberant sound and its importance many times. I was playing around and had an experience that I felt was related. I did make a post but it didn't attract attention. So let me ask this question, especially since I saw you post that you are fond of certain tube amps (as I am).

Imagine you have 2 speakers that you are basically happy with. Speaker A is rather particular about the amp. Perhaps even to the point of what music you are playing. But with the right amp and music it is pure hair raising, goose bump causing, copping wood, "magic". Speaker B on the other hand hardly cares which amp you use. It isn't that you can't hear any difference but it is much less, regardless of music selection, volume, etc. It sounds good with any amp, darn good even, but somehow it is never true "magic".

So what is your take on this? Is speaker A better because it does "magic" or is this "magic" just some anomoly caused by a freak chance of perfect impedance match (or something along these lines)? Could it be that speaker B is clearly better but maybe has something not quite right with the reverberant sound and therefore can't quite reproduce that last little subtle nuance that allows us to hear the "magic" that good tubes amps do so well?

TIA,
Russ
P.S. If you want to get bugged with a million questions, email me sometime. I'd even let you call me grasshopper and I'd worship at your feet (but from afar cuz they stink...lol).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.