Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: what exactly is Hi Eff and why should I care?

Here is a little story that should explain nicely why you should be interested in high efficiency speakers and horns.

When I first became interested in pursuing a different path in audio, what you might call "ultra fi" I visited a very knowledgeable denizen of this forum, who had very large horns and field coil drivers. Initially, he used for signal and amplification one of the little, tiny $100 stereo things that usually has it own tiny speakers which are detachable. Maybe it was made by Admiral, or JVC. You know, the CD loads from the top, and the player is just a bit bigger than a walkman? The amplifier is about the size of a sandwich? All stacked up in the space of half a shoebox. That was the electronics.

It did not matter. Within seconds, I was both shocked and amazed by the music coming out of these extremely high efficiency speakers. (Later a 45 SET amp was used, if you must know.) This was a permanently transformative experience, not involving narcotics nor hospitalization.

The point is, if you want to really make a difference (upgrade), deal with the component that acually transduces the signal. And only high efficiency speakers do that really well.

Jonathan

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.