Home High Efficiency Speaker Asylum

Need speakers that can rock with just one watt? You found da place.

Re: Karlson-coupler aspect - what might be juggled for aspect & performance? 3rd Z peaks

hey GM - here's what I've seen for 3rd peak. dunno 'bout CN - seems to take stock in wing flare (and supposed release distribution) alot. CN will take 4 sets of tapers, pick best-set, possibly adjust that set, then try for a better coupler.

the fun (or torture) with one of these things would be to achieve "acceptable" response (including sonics), minimal peaking, most output ability overall with least amount of excursion and somehow pick the best aspect and layout to to this stuff. (Moray likes K-TL - I'm really ignorant on TL and not sure how to work that for high spl withput something weird)

I've reached reasonably high spl with very little cone motion and K sound far cleaner than reflex imo. I can't get heavy B&C 15 to sound like doing much other than resonant flab/flapping on drums (might have to live with those in ~aperiodic)

Best,
Freddy

(all height dims external)

25.5" high K12 per July 1958 Popular Mechanics areticle - 3rd Z peak 235Hz

27" high Acoustic Control box - VBf ~0.9CF, 3rd Z 224.6Hz

28" tall RCA-Fan X15 size - 3rd Z peak ~195Hz - if board above baffle if perpendicular and theres no reflector so that probabably accounts for somewhat lower tuning than X15 & 115BK

32" tall K box 6.3 cubic feet - 3rd Z peak 195Hz

32" tall 6.3 CF k-box - add 20 liter stub to top of front pipe via 2" x19" slot - 3rd Z drops to maybe 130Hz
response effect of a lightly poly-damped 20 liter add-on stub at top of front pipe keeping back chamber fixed at 85L - driver in both cases a 5% efficient 18" (not the 2.3% se in that other 18 coupler)

adding more volume (45l) to the same coupler seems to de-tune as BP theory would predict - but is the stub a legit thing to do with K's in first place? what is the best configuration for an Ultra-Fidelity type?

Impedance of 32" k/6.3CF with 45l stub on top of front chamber really droppped the 3rd Z peak

In-room graph of 45 liter cavity-stub vs none - looks to be de-tuned condition losing energy around 80-85
BP sim of 45 liter add-one cavity experiment above

33" high Stock K15 - 3rd Z comes in ~155Hz even if tuned like exemplar

32" tall K-box 8 cubic feet - no front nor rear shelf 3rd Z 190Hz - why is it so much higher than K15 (or vice-versa?)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.