Home DVD-Audiobahn

New DVD-Audio music releases and talk about the latest players.

Re: Thank you for your honest answer.

I don't like the watermark myself but realize it's not so bad in practise. In fact only in direct comparison with unmarked material it's recognizeable. Michi can't tell the setting used by Warner by just listening to the Warner discs. So how audible is it really?

****As far as detecting the watermark via consumer recorders, I don't see the hardware manufacturers giving this a high priority. I believe they will have to be forced to do such a thing -- the labels are not going to be able to do it without legal backup (as in getting another law passed). And just what can anyone do about the millions and millions of recording devices already available? Do you think that they will cease to exist in this envisioned 1984-like state? ****

They will simply get no license from the DVD Forum to produce a recorder without copy control. And if they do they get in trouble with the already existing laws.
Recorders for consumers will come to market because without the ability to record or expectations of hackability a new format will most likely fail in the mass market.

As for the millions if devices out there only a handfull are able to record multichannel content. How many people are using cassette recorders these days to record music? Most consumer decks have a lifetime of little over a 1000 hours. It's about the future and not about old equipment that is dissappearing anyway.

****As far as financial issues, I believe the majority of artists will tell you that their biggest concerns are with the labels that "represent" them. How many "old" musicians are flat broke. They sold millions and millions of albums, but got back chump change. In the '40s, '50s and '60s, there were no massmarket tape decks, CD burners or Napsters. The labels ripped them off. Today, it's pretty much the same way. Only now, the labels have gotten smart(er) and try to throw off the trail by claiming that tape recorders, CD burners, Napster et al, pirates and the Easter Bunny just make it too hard for them to turn a profit. Who suffers? The artist. And me. And you. So, you might want to rethink that idea if you believe that watermarking a recording is going to help the artist. The labels won't let that happen. They don't see themselves as there to help the artists: they see themselves as there to "help themselves".****

Not al recordabels are thieves. It's a bit over the top to claim this for all of them.
Copyright theft has happened and it is still happening
Getting a disc produced, marketed and distributed costs serious money and only about 1 in 10 discs are a succes that pulls the cart.
Most artist are not succesfull to begin with. If the succesfull ones end up poor it's often their own fault.

Copying is a real issue for record labels and it really is. Almost every disc sold is copied at least one time for a friend or family relation.

At least with DVD Audio an artist has the option to do it all himself with little investment and without watermarking if he doesn't like it.
Otherwise it's back to the monopolized replication facilities.

Frank

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Thank you for your honest answer. - Frank 12:12:11 01/29/03 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.