Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

And some just go along with the majority because they don't know any better

You're right. And that actually is part of the problem.

If "high-end" audio was really just about loving music, we could have participants here listening to their am/fm clock radios while others are listening to $1M SOTA-level systems and there'd probably far fewer disputes.

Or if this industry was truly performance-oriented like say Formula 1 or Top Fuel drag racing, there'd still be far few disputes. Sure they may disagree with the benefits of a turbo vs a supercharger, or using 1 Magneto vs 2, or Goodyear Slicks vs M/T slicks but they still agree on slicks, so they are all still very much on the same general page and still shooting at the same general performance target.

"High-end" audio ain't like that. Not even close. And you can forget being on the same general page shooting at the same general target. We're lucky if some of us are on the same planet or even the same galaxy.

For example, probably half of those who consider themselves high-end enthusiasts or audiophiles think all cables and components are transparent to the signal and hence all sound identical.

Probably 2/3rd's don't believe in electronic component burn-in,

Probably 1/2 of the participants believe that a product's measurements are the holy grail and literally have ceased using their ears to discern a product's performance - because to their untrained ears everything sounds the same.

I'd venture 98% think they have clean and distortion-free AC coming in from the street because they live within 2000 miles of a sub-station.

Another half probably thinks that price alone determines a playback system's level of musicality.

Shoot, there's a guy out there who believes all cables and components are transparent to the signal and considers measurements alone to be the holy grail because he considers his ears as untrustworthy and useless appendages. In an audio industry mind you. To top it off, he wrote a book called "THE AUDIO EXPERT" and even has customers following his advise and purchasing his products and he's even sat on an expert panel at a recent AES convention.

For all I know, you're one of those and for all you know I am too. Yet, here we are participating in the same forum.

As for well-known mfg'ers participating in these forums, that can be a really good thing. But it can also be pretty bad too. Especially with the more narcissistic ones. And the groupies that can flock to them and hang on their every word whether true or false ain't helping much neither.

I call this an industry in chaos. But to others, it seems that if somebody disagrees with the majority, they must be trolling.

In the end I suspect what you're really saying is that you're willing to tolerate everybody but the intolerant.

And if that is true, doesn't this post of yours make you a troll?

Edits: 05/02/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • And some just go along with the majority because they don't know any better - stehno 02:43:19 05/02/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.