Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Well, Daniel...

If you've spent any time on these boards, you will recall at least two. Actually, if you've spent more than ten minutes on this board, you will see the thread above wherein an "award" from TAS was accompanied by a hard sell from the magazine's advertising department. Oddly enough, here Stereophile regularly receives accusations of pay to play. TAS? Not so much. Given that Marks was a contributor there, I'll give his statements a little more salt.

You may recall the Valin cable debacle, wherein cables loaned to Mr. Valin appeared for sale on Audiogon. The explanation was that he either loaned or gave them to a friend, I forget which, in exchange for his friend helping him move. Um, sure. I usually just give my friends pizza and beer. I think it fair to argue that since TAS did not terminate Mr. Valin's services, at best it accepted the behavior, at worst it condoned the behavior.

If you do some research, you can find Charles Hanson's posts on this forum regarding negative comments in TAS regarding his components shortly following his decision that he would not provide TAS advertising dollars and review samples. These comments, which I've read, were in show reports, which is ironic in that TAS and virtually every magazine I've read cautions us dear readers that a listener cannot reliably make judgments about a component's sound under show conditions. Except, it would appear, when Ayre components are involved.

Then there is the old warhorse, I think generally regarded as truth, about HP "paying" Infinity $1.00 for permanent "use" of their massive IRS system. Granted, that was in the days before the internet, but you can imagine the heads exploding, not to mention the sucking sound of bandwidth deprivation, had JA or another Stereophile writer accepted such a gift, er, I mean, loan.

Edits: 05/04/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.