Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

I don't know...............

First in terms of asking for money that is a big site with no ads. There is a lot of content. It took someone a lot of time and surely the bandwidth he uses comes at a cost. I don't have a problem with people asking for donations.

Now to the Hafler review. Well it is very detailed. Did you see all the content? It obviously took many hours to compile the data and write and post it. I'd guess 10-15 hours minimum just for this review. Now to the "recommendation" section the OP said to look at:

"""When my used DH-120 arrived in 2014, one of the feet had unscrewed, leaving a nut rattling around inside. Be sure to check the external screws and tighten them if needed when you get yours."""

Helpful, can't find anything wrong with that

"""There is little to no real difference in audible power output between 60W and 100W and 250W."""

Because he uses the phrase "audible power output" I would agree mostly with this. As some to many of us know going from 60 to 120 watts will only yield an additional 3db and most of us would consider that as little.
Going from 60-250 watts just a bit over 6db. So how much is that really when most listen at somewhere between 85-100dB? Not much like he says. He is saying "audible power output" not sound quality.

"""In each case, it's only one or two clicks of a volume control between each. Most people don't realize that amplifiers almost never have to put out their maximum power; most of the time at normal levels you're using one watt or less."""

As a long time audio dealer I always had at least one system with power meters that showed 1-10 watts provided plenty of sound through almost every loudspeaker. The majority of people that took this demo were surprised how little power was actually needed and being used.

""" You only get close to maximum when you play your system at deafening levels, and when you do, there isn't much difference between the different power levels."""

Well it takes a lot of power to get to 105db or more with the vast majority of speakers. Yes I know how efficient some speakers are....OSHA says its permissible to have one hour of exposure at that level per day. I like to have some loud levels and use a lot of power and believe in headroom which are all reasons to have high power levels in w/ my 91dB speaker system.

"""This is why amp makers took off the power meters they used to feature back in this day: people quickly realized they never used more than a watt or two, even when played loud."""

Not many ever had power meters and clipping indicators are largely gone now too which would be useful to many. I disagree that a watt or two will give most people what they consider loud.

"""With most of today's non-classical music, the peaks and dynamic extremes have been filtered out anyway, so no longer do we need high peak power for contemporary popular music"""

I think over 95% would agree with this too. We see plenty of posts on loudness wars on this board. So look at the Hafler DH120 review. It is very large, long and took a lot of effort. The recommendations are not bad in my opinion and perhaps many here know the info but many do not. I can't tell you how many people I sold high power gear to because they requested it yet the never use anywhere near half of that power.

I don't care for most older solid state gear but if you could get one of these for $100 or so that would be better than most of the new shit being peddled today for under $1000. (not all) There are a lot of people including here in AA that prefer less expensive older or vintage gear and this review will help them. I wouldn't want one myself.

The phrase pick your battles comes to mind as I see most of this info on the Hafler as good info where someone took a lot of time and effort. Maybe the O.P. could clarify what he had a problem with specifically because I don't see it.

ET
ET

"If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do suck seed" - Curly Howard 1936

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.