Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Poor old Ed Long, defending his own erroneous speaker designs. But NOTE BENE:

"Although I agree with the major premise of the book - that absolute polarity is extremely important..."

That of course is the crux of the matter.

"I must say that pages 67 to 74 are full of erroneous and misleading information about loudspeakers."

Not true; that section lambastes all loudspeaker designs in which phase is gemischt, disallowing the perception of polarity. Read it yourself.

The nonsense continues:

"The last two chapter are an odd mixture and, therefore, difficult to describe."

Perhaps for Mr. Long. Here's the description: Polarities on records etc. are found by experiment to fall 50/50 into both camps; proof is ascertained that this must be so.

"There is an interesting list of recordings, each marked with the author's own polarity convention, which is relative to the first record for which he determined the correct polarity."

No! Never, ever said that that polarity was "correct". In fact I pointedly avoided that.

"It would have been better if he had determined the absolute polarity of his own system before he began marking his collection."

Ah! Poor Ed... Over and over the point was made that systems do not possess their own "absolute polarity". Yet by way of excuse, people still do make that error.

At least Audio printed a huge color picture of the cover!

Did you catch John Cockroft's review in Speaker Builder? "I have become a disciple of Mr. Johnsen's dissertation." He grasped all the points that Ed Long missed.

Likewise David Shavin: "R.C. Johnsen has fired a barrage at the audio-recording industry. A combination of moral outrage, hard work, and intellectual acumen, mixed with wit, humor, and even street-theater antics, makes this 98-page book a rare and refreshing exposé, guaranteed to miss the audio industry's puff sheets."

On the other hand, John Atkinson reviewed it in Stereophile: Excellent, superb, a tour-de-force. But perhaps you'd rather concentrate on the negative?

clark

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Topic - Acoustic polarity, again - KlausR. 02:36:41 05/06/07 (113)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.