Home Bottlehead Forum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share you ideas and experiences.

The Official Guide to Converting your Quickie for Headphone Use

OK, since there have been quite a few questions circulating, I thought I would toss up the guide on how to convert your Quickie to headphone use.

You will need:
2 Speco T-7010 transformers
1 headphone jack
heatshrink tubing or electrical tape

Step 1 (Preparing the Specos):
Cut off the yellow, orange, blue, and gray wires from the Speco at the bobbin of the transformer. The black wire on the side of the transformer with the colored wires and the white wire must be trimmed, stripped, and soldered together. Cover the joint with heatshrink or electrical tape.

Milford Sound in New Zealand

Mount the Specos under the D cell battery holders as shown. Be sure the red/brown leads face the tube sockets.

Solder the brown wires to the cups of each RCA jack. It may help to solder the wire to the cap lead that feeds into the solder cup instead of the solder cup itself. Solder the black wires to the ground buss.

On the 1/4" jack, run a wire from the terminal closest to the panel to the ground buss of the Quickie. The next terminal back is the "ring", and right is ring, so run the red wire from the right Speco to the ring terminal and solder. Run the red wire from the left Speco to the tip terminal and solder (remember, it's flipped over when you're looking at it, so check the jack colors just to be sure you don't mix them up).

The jack shown is constructed so that when you plug in headphones the output disconnects. Although it is not installed in this application to perform such a task, be sure to solder the wires to the correct side, or to both sides if you are unsure.

Sit back and enjoy! For ordering a different transformer, we have the Speco wired as an 8k:500 autoformer.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Topic - The Official Guide to Converting your Quickie for Headphone Use - Caucasian Blackplate 13:11:17 09/23/09 (24)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.