Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

OK here's the lengthier review promised. 3.7i experiences to date...

Apologies up front for not providing these impressions earlier, but between film related business with Morganville promotion and various tube rolling experiments (...every change matters) it's been difficult finding the time to put my thoughts down. Also, before I get started, please forgive any overlap from my prior observations.

First and foremost I love these speakers. That probably isn't surprising, but keep in mind that my music tastes aren't typical of the average Maggie owner. I'll admit it, I'm a rockaholic (I should be getting my 50 year chip any day now). While I'm also moved by classical, jazz, folk and acoustic guitar, most of my preferences are guitar based classic rock. I'm less inclined to listen to female vocalists ...unless you consider early Rush in the same category (sorry Geddy).

The oft-asked question: Can Maggies satisfy the die-hard rock lover?

FTR, emphatically and without reservation, YES, ...because I'm that guy. The things I find most important in music, visceral presence, depth, timing, inner detail and mid-bass clarity are all present in my Maggies. To produce the added slam for bass-heavy rock, the forward firing, sealed enclosure Hsu Research ULS-15 centered between the Magnepans provides an excellent match for augmenting the lowest octave (the sub's by-passable crossover set between 40-45hz, volume adjusted according to the individual recording & room size).

The 3.7i mid-range and treble are sweet (mine have been breaking in for about 8 months), but I've discovered that speaker positioning, while important, isn't as critical to the overall presentation as the Wizard behind the curtain (the tubes feeding them). My upstream source is tube modded (ModWright OPPO-95 with Shuguang 50 year Treasures CV181-Z) with old school pre-amplification provided via Audible Illusions Modulus L3B line stage (w/NOS Russian mil. tubes) into the Sanders MagTech and Hsu sub. Many thanks for the Sanders recommendation. It effortlessly drives the 3.7i in my relatively large listening room with vaulted ceiling (approx. 22' X 22' X 20').

Early on I had to position the Maggies slightly outside of their ideal listening set-up to accommodate the viewing cone of a new 100" Supernova screen (mounted on a sliding rail so that I could maneuver it to the back wall for unobstructed listening). Surprisingly, the concessions made didn't impact critical listening from the sweet spot as much as I thought it would. In fact, instrument separation improved significantly without sucking out the middle, the wider soundstage compensated for by slightly increasing toe-in.

Music listening impressions: For starters, the Magtech sample disc was quite useful for testing various styles of music, many of which aren't normally in my wheelhouse. On these, I expected above average performance and received it in spades. The ultimate test came when listening to familiar music, especially music where prior speakers failed to provide the visceral realism associated with the perception of a live concert or well produced studio recording. BTW, none of my music is on vinyl.

Sampling of great rock recordings newly appreciated through Maggies: Rush s/t, Fly By Night, Caress of Steel, 2112 (Anthem CDs, 80's) Allman Brothers Fillmore Concerts (SACD), Supertramp Breakfast In America (SHM-SACD), Jimi Hendrix Rainbow Bridge (CD), Black Sabbath Paranoid & Master of Reality (SHM-SACD), The Who Tommy & Who's Next (SHM-SACD), Robin Trower State To State live (CD), Captain Beyond (CD), UFO - BBC the Archive Series: In Session And Live In Concert (CD), Led Zeppelin II (CD remaster)

On music that isn't heavy rock, my new Maggies generated the kind of personal warmth and intimacy that make familiar acoustic guitar, orchestral & jazz infinitely more enjoyable. For instance, the California Guitar Trio (most all of their CDs, studio & live), Living Stereo recordings (SACD), Dave Brubeck Quartet (SACD). I could go on and on, but I'm sure you've heard all of this before from other first timers thrilled with experiencing new Maggies.

I'm in the process of rolling different rectifier tubes in my ModWright PS 9.0 from stock and I'm reaping more benefits. Like I said before everything makes a difference. Tube changes improve the sound of some recordings more than others because of the manner in which the music was recorded, but when clearly everything falls into place it's possible to see deeper into each recording. That's what the journey is all about, is it not?

Cheers,
AuPh

Edits: 02/02/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Topic - OK here's the lengthier review promised. 3.7i experiences to date... - Audiophilander 01:46:20 02/02/15 (7)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.