Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Great review...+1

AuPh...

I think you pretty much nailed it...glad the Magtech is working out for you...it is kind-of a special amp...other than very neutral, it is hard to describe the "sound" of the Magtech...

I turned 51 this year, so I feel-ya...I too am a bit of a rocker...and other than bass hitting you in the chest...I really like them for rock...

I am a fan of WELL recorded drums...

Steve Lillywhite is a master, IMHO, of producing excellent drum sounds...(see link at the bottom)...to many to list, but here are a few...
U2, War..."Like a Song"...the snare drum sounds like a gun-shot...and an un-dampened bass drum on "Seconds"...(the garage band from garage land)...the whole album is ruff and raw...Edge's guitar solo in New Year's Day...sounds like bombs dropping in flight...

Big Country, "In a Big Country"

Simple Minds...anything in the 80's

Dave Mathews Band, Crash...track 6, starts with drum solo...perfectly panned kit...one of my references when listening to any changes...he has done 4 of the DMB albums...

The Police...Hugh Padgham producer, "One World", my all time fav recorded drum performance...Sting takes the leash off Stewart Copeland and he just cuts loose...he beats the $hit out of that little jazz kit...that 18" bass drum, sounds like a floor tom...punchy...punchy...punchy...

Rush, Moving Pictures...Neil's MONSTER kit is a runaway train...

Many of mid 70's recordings, WHEN EVERYTHING WAS OVER-DAMPENED, and drums sounded like cardboard boxes stuffed with foam peanuts...close mike-ed in a marshmallow room...lots of good music and bad drums...IMHO...

Anyways I digress...Happy everything is working out for you...I still use my goose-bump meter the most...when the rig is right...the emotional connection to the music comes through...I am no longer listening...I am enjoying...from your review sounds like you found that place...

Congrats...
Take care
Mark

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.