Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

What's going on with Quad ESLs these days?

I have noticed two things recently about Quad ESLs, both new and used, and am wondering if anyone has thoughts to share about this or any new hard information about the company and its offerings.

First, I understand that presently there is no U.S. distributor for Quad ESL speakers, so they are not for sale here in the U.S. Is there any likelihood that this will change?

Does anyone have any information about the company itself, its health or longevity?

I have also noticed what seems like a sudden drop in prices of Quad ESLs online. There seem to be a lot of ESL-63s for sale at lower prices than in the recent past that do not seem to be selling. I may be misremembering things a bit here, but it seems to me ESL-63s used to sell at around $1,500-$1,800. Now I see a number at ca. $1,200-$1,300 that do not seem to be moving.

I have a pair of ESL-63s that I have owned for many years. They have performed flawlessly, and I love them. I wonder if people looking to buy on the used market are willing to pay less or not buy at all because the company's presence in the U.S. has disappeared? Since there are no distributors currently in the U.S., and the audio mags shy away from reviewing components without U.S. distributors, the lack of reviews of new models of Quad ESLs probably has softened the market for used ones?

I wonder, too, whether or not this has had an effect on those who refurbish of Quads? On some level, a pair of well-sorted Quads have a lot to offer at their price and the longevity of audiophiles enjoying ESL 57s and 63s is noteworthy.

Just curious.

George Roland

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Topic - What's going on with Quad ESLs these days? - George S. Roland 10:22:29 01/28/15 (16)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.