AudioAsylum Trader
Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

For Sale Ads

FAQ / News / Events


Use this form to submit comments directly to the Asylum moderators for this forum. We're particularly interested in truly outstanding posts that might be added to our FAQs.

You may also use this form to provide feedback or to call attention to messages that may be in violation of our content rules.

You must login to use this feature.

Inmate Login

Login to access features only available to registered Asylum Inmates.
    By default, logging in will set a session cookie that disappears when you close your browser. Clicking on the 'Remember my Moniker & Password' below will cause a permanent 'Login Cookie' to be set.


The Name that you picked or by default, your email.
Forgot Moniker?


Examples "Rapper", "Bob W", "joe@aol.com".


Forgot Password?

 Remember my Moniker & Password ( What's this?)

If you don't have an Asylum Account, you can create one by clicking Here.

Our privacy policy can be reviewed by clicking Here.

Inmate Comments

Your Email:  

Message Comments


Original Message

Vacuum State Electronics DVP-9000ES Level 7 SACD - modding or upgrade?

Posted by Joe Rasmussen on January 26, 2009 at 14:06:44:

I much prefer to use "upgrade" than modding. Anybody can change a few caps, throw in an additional part or two, or swap the odd IC here or there. That's modding (more like way to sell pricey parts). Almost anybody with minimum effort can do a mod. But a real "upgrade" is a far more arduous proposition, one that can take many months and even years to develop. One is just changes to an existing design, often minimally, the other stretches the limits of what can be done. At least it does in this case. "Terra Firma" isn't a mod, it's a totally different solution that challenges the status quo. The Vacuum State module completely replaces both DACs and all subsequent IC based circuitry. That's more like upgrading your computer by replacing and adding a super-duper state-of-the-art Video Card to feed your monitor. They don't call that a mod, that's called an upgrade.