General Asylum: REVIEW: Xtreme cables Quicksilver contact enhancer Accessory by faithnomorefreak
General audio topics that don't fit into specific categories.
|For Sale Ads|
Model: Quicksilver contact enhancer Category: Accessory Suggested Retail Price: $64.95 Description: nt Manufacturer URL: Xtreme cables Manufacturer URL: Xtreme cables
Review by faithnomorefreak ( A ) on January 31, 2005 at 17:40:25
IP Address: 184.108.40.206
Add Your Review
for the Quicksilver contact enhancer
First thing. This review is long. I want to describe as acurate as possible this new product to better inform you all before you blow any cash on yet ANOTHER tweak. My system is very modest and my musical tastes likely very different so your results will obviously vary.
I first noticed Quick Silver on Audiogon. My curiousity was instantly piqued as unlike many other audio and videophiles, I was not blown away by the standard Walker SST and the thought of shelling out 150 clams to audition Extreme SST did not sit well. And here was this new CRYO'D silver goo for half the price! I took the plunge.
And man am I glad that I did! The kit comes in a handy plastic snap shut case. Inside is the jar of Quick Silver which is very small. Actually about half the amount Walker provides (But has anyone actually used a WHOLE jar of SST?) The product looks cool. Whereas the silver in SST looks kind of dirty and lumpy, Quick Silver is smooth and looks very pure. Almost like silver paint. I can practially see my reflection in the stuff. Better quality silver maybe? It is not quite as thick as SST though. Also included in the kit is a tiny tube of Caig DeOxit, spatula to stir, 8 pointed end cotton swabs, and the applicator brush. The brush is cool because it is a retractable pen. Simply click the little brush up and paint away. This applicator works just as well as the foam applicators Walker provides but is less messy because you can retract the brush and put the lid on the pen. The instruction sheet is also more complete than SST's and includes photos on application. Let's get started.
I first wiped off all the SST in my system with some Kleenex. No rubbing alcohol, DeOxit...nada. (for those inmates that will claim cleaning off the contacts well made all the difference). I applied it to all my AC plugs, IEC male pins, interconnect pins, outside the female RCA barrels, and all the contact points inside my Monster HTPS 7000 (shut up I didn't know better at the time). Since Quick Silver is not as thick as SST, it is more difficult to apply evenly. It takes a little more care to ensure an even coat, but you'll learn how to apply it more efficiently with practice.
I sampled very different genres of music. First was Pantera's Vulgar Display Of Power, next was various Trance, Drum and Bass, and House cd's, and lastly was Sarah McLachlan's Surfacing album. All displayed improved bass response, the noise floor dropped another level, and the instruments seemed to have more seperation from eachother. The biggest improvement was on Sarah McLachlan's voice. It sounded so real like I was at a show! Awesome stuff. I won't get into the super fine details as you've all heard it a million times before. Just know it does what SST does only better. I am not as much an audiophile as videophile, and video is where Quick Silver REALLY flexes it's muscle.
HOLY COW! Video performance from DVD's, standard cable, and especially video games from my PS2 was out of the park! The resolution and clarity of the picture was greatly enhanced as was color and that sense of 3D. Images seemed to seperate more from their backgrounds. Quick Silver also cured two issues that had been ailing my video set-up. It somehow greatly reduced "Red Push" coming from my JVC HD CRT set, and eliminated the white, fuzzy "halo" effect around small white or yellow text. (ie the ticker at the bottom on the screen on ESPN) And Madden 2005 never looked so good! All my reference games and DVD's improved and left me with one big fat grin on my face. Things have only improved over the weekend as the product has settled in.
I could not be more impressed with this new product! Brian and the people at XTreme AV deserve immense success for creating this fantastic product. I have the utmost respect for Lloyd Walker and his products that I've listened to, but he should take notice. Quick Silver SLAYS standard SST for the same price and is half the price as his SST Extreme. Do yourselves a favor and pick this stuff up. A cryo'd silver contact enhancer for $64.95 is a no-brainer to me.
Product Weakness: Not as easy to spread on as SST. Product Strengths: Flat out outperforms the standard SST, especially on video. I don't know how it compares to SST Extreme. Silver is cryo'd and less than half the price of Walker SST Extreme. Applicator pen very handy. Comes with DeOxit and cool carrying case.
Associated Equipment for this Review: Amplifier: Pioneer VSX-D488 Preamplifier (or None if Integrated): None Sources (CDP/Turntable): Harmon Kardon FL 8385 Speakers: Klipsch SF2 Cables/Interconnects: All Monster (I know) Music Used (Genre/Selections): Metal, Electronic, Light Rock Room Size (LxWxH): 15 x 14 x 8 Room Comments/Treatments: None Time Period/Length of Audition: 2 Days and ongoing Other (Power Conditioner etc.): Monster HTPS 7000, VH Audio Flavor 3 cords on CDP, PS2, and TV Type of Audition/Review: Product Owner
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - REVIEW: Xtreme cables Quicksilver contact enhancer Accessory - faithnomorefreak 17:40:25 01/31/05 ( 27)
- Xtreme cables Quicksilver contact enhancer Accessory - Xtreme AV 22:10:50 01/31/05 ( 0)
Xtreme cables Quicksilver contact enhancer Accessory - Rpatrick 20:27:09 01/31/05 ( 25)
- Claims it even makes his PC faster - bstan 20:01:15 02/1/05 ( 4)
- Just FYI, silver conductive paste is not anything new, bstan ... - Jack Seaton 06:19:44 02/2/05 ( 3)
- Re: Just FYI, silver conductive paste is not anything new, bstan ... - bstan 10:18:13 02/2/05 ( 1)
- Nice to see that the additional 5 minutes (since your last post, below) improved your demeanor ... - Jack Seaton 21:10:32 02/2/05 ( 1)
- Re: Just FYI, silver conductive paste is not anything new, bstan ... - bstan 10:13:09 02/2/05 ( 0)
Re: Xtreme cables Quicksilver contact enhancer Accessory - The Bored 07:21:54 02/1/05 ( 10)
- Yes, I agree this is on the line... - Steve Parry 12:39:06 02/1/05 ( 9)
- Re: Yes, I agree this is on the line... - faithnomorefreak 12:54:03 02/1/05 ( 8)
- :-) General Asylum is not a place for... - Wellfed 13:32:13 02/1/05 ( 5)
- I just recieved mine today! - Jack Seaton 18:45:38 02/1/05 ( 4)
- That's great! I would really like to read about. . - John PA 20:43:03 02/1/05 ( 3)
- I'll keep you informed, John. Just watch the Tweakers Asylum page this weekend. - Jack Seaton 06:28:48 02/2/05 ( 0)
- Re: That's great! I would really like to read about. . - faithnomorefreak 00:45:29 02/2/05 ( 1)
- It all comes out in the wash. . - John PA 05:26:51 02/2/05 ( 0)
Re: Xtreme cables Quicksilver contact enhancer Accessory - faithnomorefreak 23:39:02 01/31/05 ( 1)
- Re: Xtreme cables Quicksilver contact enhancer Accessory - Rpatrick 06:45:38 02/1/05 ( 0)
You guys sound like a promo for the product.. . - John PA 21:02:38 01/31/05 ( 6)
- Xtreme Cables QuickSilver contact enhancer Accessory - Rpatrick 21:27:00 01/31/05 ( 5)
- It reads like a promo and nothing more. And using this forum for. . - John PA 10:24:03 02/1/05 ( 1)
- Re: It reads like a promo and nothing more. And using this forum for. . - faithnomorefreak 11:00:44 02/1/05 ( 0)
- Re: Xtreme Cables QuickSilver contact enhancer Accessory - Xtreme AV 07:14:32 02/1/05 ( 0)
say what? - troporobo 03:49:32 02/1/05 ( 1)
- Re: say what? - Rpatrick 06:35:49 02/1/05 ( 0)