from an old couple who said that they bought it new in 1960 as a wedding gift for themselves. The model name is RCA Victor Stereo Orthophonic High Fidelity that came with a pair of Goodmans two-way speaker system of which I thought sounded quite good after it's been sitting for almost 60 years in the basement as a dust collector. Everything works on it including the record changer, which was the main reason why I purchased it. The record changer can play 16, 33, 45 and 78 record speed. I have a bunch of 78 records that I bought 3 months ago that I was able to play on it with excellent results aside from lack of audiophile's version of top and bottom end frequencies, it sounded pretty good without being pretentious. I was listening to Bing Crosby, Andrew Sisters, Bill Johnson and his orchestra, Jerry Gray and his orchestra, Mills Brothers just to name a few and I find myself in a nostalgic frame of mind for a few hours.
Anyway, as usual like any other antique objects there bound to be some issues with it. The issue with it is the speakers on the left as it will lose the sound after a few hours of operation. I replaced the pair of 6BQ5/EL84 power output tubes with brand new ones a couple of days ago and it seems to fix the problem for a few hours and then after that the left speaker lost its sound again.
I ordered the new replacement for the rest of the tubes of which I hope will fix the problem and it should arrive in a week or so. In the meantime any ideas why it's doing this?
If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing well
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Just bought this one... - kootenay 08:50:47 03/07/17 (19)
- Thanks for all the inputs guys... - kootenay 09:56:15 03/09/17 (4)
- RE: Thanks for all the inputs guys... - dls123 23:14:08 03/10/17 (3)
- Resto soon..... - Interstage Tranny 15:14:14 03/07/17 (5)
- Agreed.... - kootenay 18:06:43 03/07/17 (4)
- RE: Just bought this one... - orthophonic 11:38:16 03/07/17 (5)
- I hope you're right... - kootenay 18:23:18 03/07/17 (4)
- RE: Just bought this one... - rickl 11:32:37 03/07/17 (0)
- RE: Just bought this one... - airtime 11:28:07 03/07/17 (0)