Tweaks for systems, rooms and Do It Yourself (DIY) help. FAQ.
In Reply to: RE: 300hz is too high posted by KanedaK on February 5, 2017 at 18:09:02:
You didn't mention the value of the PIO caps you ordered. If you use the .033uF (that's 33 nano) as I recommended, the input to your amp will be down 1/4db @ 400hz, 1/2db @ 300, 3db @ 100, 9db @ 50, 15db @ 25hz, so that is a decent reduction of low freq energy without significantly impacting existing filter slopes, although the response of the speakers will be affected somewhat in that their lowest frequencies will be reduced as well. This will probably have a greater impact on perceived clarity than reducing input to the amp. All small speakers distort when tasked with reproducing low frequencies, whereas most decent amplifiers do not.
Depending on what it is now, you might need to tweak the response of the bass xover/amp by raising the xover point (not terribly difficult), adjusting the slope (pretty complicated), or merely increasing the volume a bit (easy!) to compensate for the increased roll off of low freq's from the mids.
I doubt that Russian PIO is the best because there is no such thing (I assume that's why you used quotes), although they may be the best value. Improving on the sound of Arcotronics caps is no tall order, so you should be pleased. If you care to eventually invest more, I guarantee you would be even more pleased with copper foil.
berate is 8 and benign is 9This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Input coupling caps as high-pass filter - KanedaK 11:34:26 02/02/17 (13)
- 300hz is too high - madisonears 18:56:56 02/03/17 (6)
- RE: 300hz is too high - KanedaK 06:58:06 02/05/17 (5)
- RE: Input coupling caps as high-pass filter - KanedaK 18:50:19 02/03/17 (2)
- 7,960pF not 7.96pF (nt) - Tre' 15:58:56 02/04/17 (0)
- RE: Input coupling caps as high-pass filter - madisonears 15:20:26 02/04/17 (0)
- You would be crazy not to - email@example.com 12:20:50 02/03/17 (0)
- RE: Input coupling caps as high-pass filter - Hornlover 09:46:01 02/03/17 (0)
- RE: Input coupling caps as high-pass filter - Tre' 18:54:52 02/02/17 (0)