Tweaks for systems, rooms and Do It Yourself (DIY) help. FAQ.
I just replaced 4 caps in the SMPS of my little Technics se-c01 power amp.
The amp is a Christmas present but it was really failing to impress me. It is driving the bass horns in my bi-amped system.
Ever since i got it, the bass was weak, slow and blurred. I first thought the amp might be a bad choice for the task - but then I remembered it's a device from 1981.
Opening the separate PSU revealed swollen electrolytics. One of them had leaked.
(And this was a "checked" amplifier from a "good epay reseller" with warranty seal and all. Well I'm sure glad I broke the seal!)
Put brand new, high ripple low ESR 10000hours caps in there, and the little bugger now shakes the walls with punchy, articulated bass!
This might be of limited interest - I doubt many people here use that kind of old, non-prestigious amplifiers- but it's a good reminder of how important good caps are for any audio device. Here under you can see the removed old caps and the new caps in place.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - New caps solved it! - KanedaK 08:53:48 01/25/17 (4)