Tweaks for systems, rooms and Do It Yourself (DIY) help. FAQ.
In Reply to: Disappointment with Rothwell attenuators posted by KanedaK on January 20, 2017 at 00:23:58:
I don't know what CDP you have and its output voltage and impedance. 3dB of attenuation would halve the output. 10dB is a lot and could well explain your results. If you have done this because you don't like that the volume control only gets turned up a little attenuate the output of the pre to power amp connection instead.
What pre is it? What CDP and what power amp? Are you actually overdriving the input of the preamp to distortion\clipping that you connect the CDP to? Which input is that? Modern CDP's and sources have a much heftier and most often SS low impedance output of two volts or more. Vintage tube sources were usually lower output and definitely a lot higher output impedance.
Again since it is so easy try the Rothwells between pre out and power amp in. Good luck.
"If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do suck seed" - Curly Howard 1936This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Disappointment with Rothwell attenuators - KanedaK 00:23:58 01/20/17 (11)
- RE: Disappointment with Rothwell attenuators - TomWh 08:58:37 01/23/17 (0)
- First - Awe-d-o-file 18:35:09 01/22/17 (3)
- RE: First - KanedaK 12:11:25 01/25/17 (2)
- RE: Disappointment with Rothwell attenuators - Cpwill 15:02:38 01/22/17 (0)
- RE: Disappointment with Rothwell attenuators - Ric Schultz 09:54:50 01/20/17 (0)
- RE: Disappointment with Rothwell attenuators - Carolus 07:25:19 01/20/17 (0)
- If it's any condolence... - musetap 05:41:29 01/20/17 (2)