In Reply to: HD Radio? posted by texanater on February 24, 2017 at 06:49:44:
I'm also in Houston, and it is too bad we don't have a classical FM station with good audio quality anymore.
"HD" radio does not stand for "high definition" as most people would think, it stands for "hybrid digital", a way to shoehorn more channels into what used to be allocated for one analog FM broadcast station.
If you look at the classical stream on KUHF HD2, it says it is streaming at 128kb, not the highest fidelity. The old analog FM broadcast had superior audio quality, if you were in a location to get it noise and multipath free.
There are better quality streams available, once you are equipped for internet radio, as well as the free or paid music services (Pandora, Spotify, TIDAL, etc).
I have an old Logitech Squeezebox 'Classic' that I am not using, if you would be interested. It can receive internet radio and Pandora, but not Rhapsody/Napster, Spotify or TIDAL. I replaced it with a Denon HEOS Link, which can receive all of those plus it has better sound from it's internal DAC. For both devices, I use the digital outputs to an external DAC, but the HEOS Link internal DAC is good enough that it can sound fine by itself.
This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - HD Radio? - texanater 06:49:44 02/24/17 (18)
- RE: HD Radio? - Crazy Dave 12:33:21 03/26/17 (0)
- My wife got a new car with an HD tuner - jedrider 10:28:39 03/22/17 (0)
- RE: HD Radio? - airtime 11:11:45 03/17/17 (0)
- Hybrid Digital aka HD is NOT High Definition, it is LOW Definition - Timbo in Oz 00:12:51 02/25/17 (4)
- RE: Hybrid Digital aka HD is NOT High Definition, it is LOW Definition - texanater 04:53:04 02/25/17 (2)
- RE: Hybrid Digital aka HD is NOT High Definition, it is LOW Definition - airtime 11:19:54 03/17/17 (0)
- RE: Hybrid Digital aka HD is NOT High Definition, it is LOW Definition - Eli Duttman 09:04:10 02/25/17 (0)
- RE: Hybrid Digital aka HD is NOT High Definition, it is LOW Definition - Eli Duttman 01:21:52 02/25/17 (0)
- Why not - Awe-d-o-file 20:42:22 02/24/17 (1)
- Radio Garden - akatana2112 10:10:40 03/01/17 (0)
- a new Sangean (non-desktop) is not under $100, but - SAS2chan 13:14:46 02/24/17 (0)
- RE: HD Radio? - kh6idf 12:53:12 02/24/17 (2)
- RE: HD Radio? - Eli Duttman 12:36:29 02/24/17 (1)
- RE: HD Radio? - kh6idf 12:59:09 02/24/17 (0)
- RE: HD Radio? - 6bq5 11:41:28 02/24/17 (1)
- RE: HD Radio? - airtime 15:58:29 03/18/17 (0)