Questions about tubes and gear that glows. FAQ
In Reply to: RE: Tubes tested & burned in posted by Byrd69 on February 16, 2017 at 15:11:58:
You're grasping at straws IMHO. While any individual tube can't be changed once it's made, the overall quality of any production run of tubes is raised by eliminating tubes with issues.
Why do you think automotive quality ratings are measured by the number of problems per 100 vehicles?
Quality is judged by evaluation/analysis of a reasonably sized sample of the product being evaluated. By weeding out problematic items from the sample the overall quality level goes up. And any individual consumer is more likely to have a satisfactory experience with the product as a result.
Finally, think of it this way. If a customer buys a quad of tubes from me and one fails, is it accurate to say that tubes I sell fail at a 25% rate? Well, if you limit it to tubes sold to him - yes. But not when the sample is larger because only a few purchasers have a 25% failure rate. Most have a 0% rate! Which means that the more infant mortality prone tubes I weed out the better the odds of any given purchaser having a 0% failure rate - THE BETTER THE OVERALL QUALITY for any given purchaser. That's why proper testing and all that go with it - including burn-in/run-in - is one path to improved quality.
That's all I have to say on this.
Edits: 02/16/17This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
Topic - Tubes tested & burned in for 48 hours at audio research - mondial 16:39:37 02/13/17 (19)
- 72 hrs burn in power tubes at Upscale Audio (nt) - Jonesy 18:34:51 02/15/17 (0)
- Actually the tubes are burned in for 48 hrs and then tested. nt. - jea48 21:10:05 02/13/17 (0)
- RE: Tubes tested & burned in for 48 hours at audio research - Trouser Trout 18:56:22 02/13/17 (0)
- Tubes tested & burned in - Byrd69 18:37:01 02/13/17 (11)
- RE: Tubes tested & burned in - Jim McShane 08:04:10 02/14/17 (10)
- RE: Tubes tested & burned in - Byrd69 16:11:41 02/15/17 (9)
- RE: Tubes tested & burned in - Jim McShane 11:59:28 02/16/17 (4)
- RE: Tubes tested & burned in - Byrd69 15:11:58 02/16/17 (3)
- "but there's no improvements to be realized"...disagree... - Steve O 20:57:19 02/15/17 (2)
- But doesn't that take all of the fun out of owning tube gear? - Ivan303 08:40:19 02/16/17 (1)
- I'm at a point in my life where less excitement = more enjoyment (nt) - Steve O 09:34:58 02/16/17 (0)
- There is at least a chance that it MIGHT improve... - Ivan303 19:23:21 02/15/17 (0)
- RE: Tubes tested & burned in for 48 hours at audio research - Chip647 17:06:22 02/13/17 (3)
- RE: Tubes tested & burned in for 48 hours at audio research - jea48 13:57:48 02/14/17 (2)
- RE: Tubes tested & burned in for 48 hours at audio research - mondial 16:03:36 02/14/17 (1)
- RE: Tubes tested & burned in for 48 hours at audio research - kentaja 05:19:21 02/15/17 (0)